LAS VEGAS, CITY OF
495 S. MAIN STREET, 1ST FLOOR
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89101
Apply Now >
Updated: August 08, 2018
Job Classification: Firefighter Trainee
************* PREAPPROVED TESTING PROCESS – BY INVITATION ONLY ****************
BY INVITATION ONLY
Only those applicants who submitted an application AND subsequently received a City of Las Vegas approval to test for National Testing Network's FireTEAM written test are authorized to proceed. Invited candidates must complete testing by September 22, 2018.Testing at National Testing Network will take place for invited candidates only. Invited candidates are expected to schedule and pay for their testing through the normal NTN process.
If you do not receive a City of Las Vegas invitation to test, your test results will not be considered.
Salary Information: $42,914.30 Annually
• Negotiated as part of the collective bargaining process.
• Step (Merit) Increase – typically awarded on the anniversary date of hire, up to range maximum
Number of Steps:
Tier 1 – 10 steps
Tier 2 – 11 steps
• The City initially provides employees with uniforms. Thereafter, uniform maintenance allowance is currently $375, which is paid quarterly.
• City provides required tools, equipment and personal protective equipment.
• All employees participate in the Public Employees' Retirement System of Nevada (PERS). PERS, a statewide defined benefit plan, calculates retirement benefits based on 2.25 percent for each year of service applied to the employee's highest contiguous 36-month average salary.
• PERS also requires that employees share 50 percent of the PERS contribution, which is implemented by reducing the City's salary ranges. The highest contiguous 36-month average salary is increased commensurate with the salary range reductions required by PERS.
• Public Safety Employee: Current (2015 & 2016) employer PERS contribution = 40.50% of base wages.
• The city offers a 457 Plan which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan.
Medical, Dental and Vision Health Insurance
• Health insurance is currently provided by Las Vegas Firefighters Health & Welfare Trust. City currently contributes $500 per employee per pay period to the health and welfare trust. Insurance start dates and premium rates are determined by the trust.
Voluntary Life Insurance: Available for purchase.
Shift Differential: Available for some classifications.
Employee Assistance Program
VACATION (Hours/Year, for 56-hour personnel)
• Year 1: 112 hours
• Years 2-4: 168 hours
• Years 5-10: 224 hours
• Years 11-15: 256 hours
• Year 16 and Over: 278 hours
• Maximum Accrual: 2 times accrual rate
• Sell-Back: Up to 5 shifts or 120 hours each year
• City provides 11 negotiated holidays plus a birthday holiday.
SICK LEAVE (for 56- hour personnel)
• Sick Leave: 288 hours per year
• Maximum Accrual: 1920 hours; hired after 07/01/2013
• Sick Leave Bonus: Negotiated sick leave bonus available
• Payout at Separation: After 5 years of service, 50% of vested hours up to cap; after 20 years of service or more, 100% of vested hours up to cap.
US Citizen: Yes
High School Grad/GED: Yes
Valid NEVADA State Driver's License: Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
Necessary Certifications: Minimum Requirements:
Applicant Hiring Standards: City of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue adheres to strict hiring policies and will screen out applicants by the following standards:
AGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants for all other positions are required to possess a high school diploma or GED at time of application.
Termination for cause by another public safety agency is disqualifying.
Any conviction within the past 12 months is disqualifying, including DUI. Two or more alcohol related incidents in the past 48 months is disqualifying.
Applicants must have the right to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
The City of Las Vegas will be performing extensive background checks on each applicant. Conviction of a crime requiring registration under NRS 207.090 or 207.153 (No Felony Convictions) or NRS 207.152 (Sex Offense) is disqualifying. Conviction of a Gross Misdemeanor and/or two or more misdemeanors, other than traffic offenses, within the last five years is disqualifying. For any position which may be required to carry a firearm, conviction of domestic violence or domestic assault is disqualifying. Other conviction records will be evaluated on an individual basis.
Each applicant must have a valid driver's license on the date of application. State law requires residents to acquire a Nevada driver's license within 30 days of Nevada residency. Suspensions, revocations or cancellations of driver's license within the last three years will be reviewed on an individual basis.
MARIJUANA, NARCOTICS OR HALLUCINOGENIC DRUGS
Prior to employment, candidates must submit to a hair drug test. A positive drug test for any controlled substance is disqualifying. Use of the following controlled substance within one (1) year of the date of the written application is disqualifying: